Register   |  Login

Forum Notice

This Forum is ARCHIVE only
For LightSwitch questions,
please use the official forums at:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/lightswitch/threads

Forums

Rounding Button Corners
Last Post 28 Mar 2012 12:46 PM by kbrownfield. 1 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

--
21 Mar 2012 06:27 PM
    Does anyone know how to round the corners of Lightswitch buttons?  By buttons, I mean the regular buttons in a screen, not the command bar buttons on the ribbon control nor the buttons in a Datagrid.  I believe the normal way would be to create a theme containing a implicit style for TargetType="Button" and a ControlTemplate with an outer Border using CornerRadius. I tried that with a style for Button in Jan Van Der Haegen's ExtensionsMadeEasy. I also tried it using my own theme extension. But neither will actually change the style for the buttons in a Lightswitch project--I still get the same ole standard rectangular Lightswitch buttons.

Finally, I tried creating my own button control extension and, of course, I can certainly set a specific style for it, but I would like it to use the selected Lightswitch theme for brushes, but I can't figure out how to reference a dynamic theme's resource dictionary either.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Any idears would be greatly appreciated.

--
    28 Mar 2012 12:46 PM
    I finally figured out how to get my Lightswitch button corners rounded.  With a little prompting from Derek Spurlock (if you don't already have the Spursoft Lightswitch Extensions, go get them!), I discovered that if you want to provide style resources beyond colors and fonts, you must have a class that implements IThemeExtension.

If you follow Microsoft's Walkthrough: Creating a Theme Extension, you will find that you start with a theme XAML file that contains the fonts and color resources for your theme.  You will also find a theme class implementing ITheme that looks something like this:

Imports System
    Imports System.ComponentModel.Composition

Imports Microsoft.LightSwitch.Theming

Namespace Presentation.Themes

<Export(GetType(ITheme))>
        <Theme(MyTheme.ThemeId, MyTheme.ThemeVersion)>
        Friend Class MyTheme
            Implements ITheme

#Region "ITheme Members"

Public ReadOnly Property ColorAndFontScheme As Uri Implements ITheme.ColorAndFontScheme
                Get
                    Return New Uri("/MyThemeExtension.Client;component/Presentation/Themes/MyTheme.xaml", UriKind.Relative)
                End Get
            End Property

Public ReadOnly Property Id As String Implements ITheme.Id
                Get
                Return MyTheme.ThemeId
                End Get
            End Property

Public ReadOnly Property Version As String Implements ITheme.Version
                Get
                Return MyTheme.ThemeVersion
                End Get
            End Property

#End Region

#Region "Constants"

Friend Const ThemeId As String = "MyThemeExtension:MyTheme"
            Friend Const ThemeVersion As String = "1.0"

#End Region

End Class

End Namespace

You can then add a very basic button style with rounded corners to the bottom of your theme xaml file:

<Style TargetType="Button" x:Key="DefaultButtonStyle">
        <Setter Property="Template">
            <Setter.Value>
                <ControlTemplate TargetType="Button">
                    <Border Name="ButtonBorder"
                           CornerRadius="4"
                           BorderBrush="{StaticResource ButtonBorderBrush}"
                           Background="{StaticResource ButtonBackgroundBrush}">
                        <ContentPresenter Content="{TemplateBinding Content}"
                                                  HorizontalAlignment="Center"
                                                  VerticalAlignment="Center"/>
                    < /Border>
                < /ControlTemplate>
            < /Setter.Value>
        < /Setter>
    < /Style>

<Style TargetType="Button" BasedOn="{StaticResource DefaultButtonStyle}" />

But if you run and test your extension now, the buttons in your test application will be unaffected by your added style.  To have your style used, you must add a new class to your theme_extension.client project that implements IThemeExtension:

Namespace Presentation.Themes

<Export(GetType(IThemeExtension))>
        <ThemeExtension(MyTheme.ThemeId)>
        Friend Class MyStyle
            Implements IThemeExtension

Public Function GetControlStyleResources(themeId As String, themeVersion As String, modules As IEnumerable(Of Microsoft.LightSwitch.Model.IModuleDefinition)) As IEnumerable(Of Uri) Implements IThemeExtension.GetControlStyleResources
                Return New List(Of Uri) From {New Uri("/MyThemeExtension.Client;component/Presentation/Themes/MyTheme.xaml", UriKind.Relative)}
            End Function
        End Class

End Namespace

Now when you run and test your extension you will see that the buttons have the rounded-corner style!

If you prefer, as I do, to use ExtensionsMadeEasy so you can modify your theme from inside your Lightswitch application, change the theme class to inherit from EasyThemeWithExtensionExporter instead of EasyThemeExporter and implement IThemeExtension:

Imports ExtensionsMadeEasy.ClientAPI.Theme

Namespace LightSwitchApplication

Public Class MyTheme
            Inherits EasyThemeWithExtensionsExporter(Of MyTheme, MyTheme)
            Implements ITheme, IThemeExtension

Public ReadOnly Property ColorAndFontScheme As Uri Implements ITheme.ColorAndFontScheme
                Get
                    Return New Uri(String.Format("/{0};component/Theme/{1}", Me.GetType.Assembly.FullName.Split(",")(0), "MyTheme.xaml"), UriKind.Relative)
                End Get
            End Property

Public ReadOnly Property Id As String Implements ITheme.Id
                Get
                    Return "My Theme"
                End Get
            End Property

Public ReadOnly Property Version As String Implements ITheme.Version
                Get
                    Return "1.0"
                End Get
            End Property

Public Function GetControlStyleResources(themeId As String, themeVersion As String, modules As IEnumerable(Of Model.IModuleDefinition)) As IEnumerable(Of Uri) Implements IThemeExtension.GetControlStyleResources
                Return New List(Of Uri) From {New Uri(String.Format("/{0};component/Theme/{1}", Me.GetType.Assembly.FullName.Split(",")(0), "MyTheme.xaml"), UriKind.Relative)}
            End Function

End Class

End Namespace

Either method will allow you to use your own styles for the buttons in Lightswitch.

Kirk
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Latest Microsoft Visual Studio LightSwitch Forum Threads That Have Answers

A common scenario for an LOB application: While working inside of an order or order details record, the user needs to update some aspect of the Customer record. In the SilverLight client this was easy because of the ability to have multiple screen tabs open.  The user could update the related record and then, for example, refresh an autocomplete box to fetch the latest update.  How do you handle this scenario in the HTML client?  I was thinking of using beforeShow/afterClosed, but the problem is that there might be validation errors (required fields left blank etc.) on the Order record that will prevent saving and moving to the Customer record.  Can you use a popup or something to show the Customer on the Order screen or something like that?  Thanks!
    Read more...

I have 3 tables that I need to filter to when a user selects a value on a screen. Category table: CategoryId Manufacturer table: ManufacturerId CategoryId Model table: ModelId ManufacturerId I have 3 drop down boxes that when the user selects the Category, I want it to filter the Manufacturer and so on. How do I accomplish this? Thanks!
    Read more...

I have an app with sensitive information that I need to track who logged in and what they viewed while within the application for auditing purposes.  I do not need to know what was changed as the information in the app is read only. Is there a way to do this in Lightswitch?
    Read more...

I have a Web API action that uses ServerApplication context. I'm inserting some records and then calling context.DataWorkspace.ApplicationData.SaveChanges(). When I debug and hit this line and continue, the code exits from the action (not completing any of the code below it) and returns a 500 Internal Server error to my client. I get no error from the server code while debugging in Visual Studio. I'm following the syntax as it needs to be, but I can't return anything after the SaveChanges line is run. Any ideas on this one? I'm pretty much dead in my tracks until I figure this out.
    Read more...

Hi! this extension disappeared somewhere when installing VS2013 updates.. It was present when having VS2013 update 1 and office developer tools march, but now with VS2013 update 3 and office developer july update it's gone, even when using latest 13.2.12 version which has support for xtrareports for lightswitch (from version 14.1 LS reports are gone).. so now there is no datasources for reports, no support for report data designer, cannot build project and la-la-la..  any ideas? tnx.. Kivito Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! (M.P.F.C.)
    Read more...

Microsoft Visual Studio is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation / LightSwitch is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation