This Forum is ARCHIVE only
For LightSwitch questions,
please use the official forums at:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/lightswitch/threads

sql server hosting
Last Post 24 Mar 2012 11:31 PM by admin. 1 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

--
24 Mar 2012 06:19 PM

Ok I'm new to lightswitch, in fact havnt built a project yet, but am interested in using lighswitch to build a web based app rather than a desktop app.

I want to start by migrating a club membership application thats currently in MS Access to lightswitch, with the the db residing on the clubs website so that committee members can access the membership details via the internet.

My problem is that the internet service provider we use for hosting the website doesnt support SQL Server, and after searching for other web hosting sites, it seem VERY FEW web hosting sites support SQL Server !@#$%. Most support MySQL!

So what are the options for developing lightswitch web based applicatons? Do I have to change to a web hosting provider that does support MS SQL Server, which it appears will be significantly more expensive!, or can I use the SQL Server 2012 LocalDB which doesnt require SQL Server to be running....but will that support multiple users????

The biggest drawcard for me with lightswitch is the dot.net and web deployment, but if very few of the hosting companies are supporting SQL Server then it sort of pointless!

Am I missing something here?

Cheers

Grant

--
    24 Mar 2012 11:31 PM
    While it may be true that the majority of hosters do not support SQL server, there are many who do. I reccomend Discount.asp. There is also Microsoft Azure.
    -----------
    Michael Washington
    http://LightSwitchHelpWebsite.com
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Microsoft Visual Studio is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation / LightSwitch is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation