This Forum is ARCHIVE only
For LightSwitch questions,
please use the official forums at:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/lightswitch/threads

Update data with Excel
Last Post 26 Jul 2013 12:26 AM by mdrattitude. 4 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

--
18 Jul 2013 06:24 PM
    Hello everybody,

I'm a quite new user of Lightswitch.
    My client is looking for a way to update data "massively" using an excel sheet.

I found the extension Excel Importer, but it seems that it allow us only to add new data and not update the current ones with new values.
    I tried to work with the Source code of the Extension to update it, but i'm not even able to build the project ... and i don't know VB.net

Does anyone know a way to allow users to update data from an excel sheet ?

Thanks everyone,

Clément

--
    19 Jul 2013 12:03 AM
    I think you're going to have to roll your own; I'm working on this myself, and in any event, it seems that the Excel importer doesn't do anything "massively", or at least not well -- I tried to import 127,000 records into a desktop app, and it just causes the client to choke.

I did roll my own importer, and even did a character by character parse of the records to accommodate fields with quote encapsulated text (which contains commas, preventing a simple split into fields) but I'm still having a problem with the client choking and locking up.

If I can get past the problem of overloading the client, the leap to finding existing records and then updating them should be relatively easy, just a matter of a few more lines of code.

--
    19 Jul 2013 12:41 AM
    I'm struggling with a similar/related issue.

I've been tasked with reflecting changes which occur on the server side over to the client.

So far, I've been able to insert code which 'auto-refreshes' the affected user screen via a timer.

The problem is that following a Refresh request - the entire screen/all the data elements get re-rendered. Initially - this is fine/acceptable to the user.

However - as the day progresses and the amount of entries grows - the screen becomes useless - simply displaying the dreaded 'egg-timer' and/or "Please Wait" form.

I believe the solution is to figure out only which data elements have changed and further - a method of updating just the affected fields rather than the entire set.

Do please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Regards,

KDinNY

--
    19 Jul 2013 01:11 AM
    My position is far away below you at this time.

I can still using the Excel Importer which allow my users to import data even if it's not new to be updated.

After the importation i can run the following code :

foreach (var entity in this.Formations)
                {
                    if (entity.Details.EntityState == EntityState.Added)
                    {
                        var propertyName = entity.Titre;
                        var exists = (this.DataWorkspace.Optic2000Data.Formations.Where((x) => x.Titre == propertyName).FirstOrDefault() != null);
                        Formation existing = this.DataWorkspace.Optic2000Data.Formations.Where((x) => x.Titre == propertyName).FirstOrDefault();

if (exists == true)
                        {
                            existing = entity; // HOW TO UPDATE THIS ?
                            entity.Delete();
                        }
                    }
                }
    (Sorry for the code like this)

So i get my new entry (entity) which is at the end an Update. I have my old entry (existing).
    How can i "force" the update of the old entry with the value of the new entry ?

Because I can use : this.DataWorkspace.AppData.SaveChanges() as i find my new entries with the status EntityState.Added.

If anyone has any idea

Thanks !
    Clément

--
    26 Jul 2013 12:26 AM
    Hey guys,

Anyone can help me to know how i can update an existing item ?

Thanks
    Clément
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Microsoft Visual Studio is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation / LightSwitch is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation