This Forum is ARCHIVE only
For LightSwitch questions,
please use the official forums at:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/lightswitch/threads

External database versus RIA
Last Post 11 Jul 2013 01:36 AM by Bill. 2 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

--
17 Jun 2013 10:45 PM
    If one has decided that the External database will better match the long term needs of the solution, what are the pros / cons of connecting LightSwitch to the external database versus using RIA as the middle layer between LightSwitch and the external database?

--
    07 Jul 2013 03:31 AM
    My 5 cents: maybe one advantage of the RIA service could be the centralization of the application and business logic and data access control, so that you would not have to implement these in all the clients that would otherwise need to connect to the external DB directly.
    Note: I think you can also do that with a LS application and connect via the ODATA interface. (I have no personal experience with this though).

--
    11 Jul 2013 01:36 AM
    To take the question a bit further, I've had three different developers recommend a "code first" model to create the Data Access Layer and then RIA services to handle the CRUD.

Their point is that the heavy business logic is separated / underneath lightswitch so if in the future a ast.net mvc + responsive layout was desired; it would be less painful.

If someone is taking a code first approach and then adding RIA services on top of that, what are the disadvantages?

Basically, I've had three different developers tell me that based on the 200+ tables and data intensive business logic we require; that it would be better to implement using a "Code First" method for the data access layer with RIA service with the business logic.

Their points are:

1) Our data structure is more complex that LightSwitch is designed to handle. 100+ main tables with 100+ many to many tables.

2) The business logic one computation will require accessing 10 tables and reading 150-200 records to "compile" the answer.

3) The business logic uses a "meta data" approach which requires RIA. No way to do it in Lightswitch.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Microsoft Visual Studio is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation / LightSwitch is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation