This Forum is ARCHIVE only
For LightSwitch questions,
please use the official forums at:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/lightswitch/threads

Accessing Server-level Name Spaces via WCF RIA Services
Last Post 14 Jun 2013 07:00 PM by Dedoone. 0 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

--
14 Jun 2013 07:00 PM

Ok, I have decided to make the much needed leap into the Wonderful World of WCF RIA Services and how it can be leveraged to help “power-up” my lightswitch application.

I love how you can get creative with multiple entities and output a custom aggregation. More so, I love how you can take calculated fields and make them queryable (is that word?) and sortable, with an added bonus of a performance gain.

To add, I found this lovely Nuget Package, TheLightSwitchToolbox.RiaServices.Server, by Paul Vanbladel to help ease the pain in turning a class into a full internal Ria Service.

However, what I have not yet found is an exampled means in which to access server-level name spaces (lets say System.Device.Location); being invoked client side, and returning a calculated value back to the client. I can certainly do this by accessing, at server level, the table inserted method through a proxy record, and then letting the client have its way with it before deleting the record. However, there must be a more elegant way in doing this via a WCF RIA Service.

As I am still on the low end of the learning curve regarding WCF RIA Services, any helpful pointers would be most welcomed.

With much thanks in advance,
    Roger

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Microsoft Visual Studio is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation / LightSwitch is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation