You are here:   Forum
Register   |  Login

Forum Notice

This Forum is ARCHIVE only
For LightSwitch questions,
please use the official forums at:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/lightswitch/threads

Forums

An Encrypted String Data Type for Visual Studio LightSwitch (Joe Kunk)
Last Post 01 Jul 2011 06:16 PM by admin. 0 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

--
01 Jul 2011 06:16 PM
    In my recent article, "Is Visual Studio LightSwitch the New Access?", I looked at the suitability of LightSwitch as a replacement tool for departmental applications developed in Microsoft Access. LightSwitch is being positioned as a tool for the power user to develop Microsoft .NET Framework applications without having to face the substantial learning curve of the full .NET technology stack. I described each of the six extension types available to add the functionality to LightSwitch that an experienced .NET developer might want to use to make development in LightSwitch easier, or that a designer may want to use to build a visually appealing application.

Read More... ]
    -----------
    Michael Washington
    http://LightSwitchHelpWebsite.com
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Latest Microsoft Visual Studio LightSwitch Forum Threads That Have Answers

I created a browse screen to be used as a modal window for another screen.  In the modal screen there is a button to return to the orignal screen.  The button uses the showScreen method.  This seems to work if the modal screen is in full screen mode.  However, if "show as dialog" is selected for the modal screen, when you try to navigate back to the original screen, the modal doesn't close and the original screen is then displayed inside the modal while being greyed out on the outside of the modal (not good).  How do you close the dialog and return to the original screen?  There are no records being added or changed in the modal so it doesn't need to commitChanges; just navigate back to the previous screen and provide that screen's parameters.  I looked at the navigateBack() method but couldn't figure out how to add the screen's parameters with that.  TIA
    Read more...

querying on the client
    1/23/2015 11:27 AM
    I need to do some querying client side. As a simplified example, this works great: var filter = "(substringof('Futterkiste', CustomerName) eq true)"; msls.application.activeDataWorkspace.ApplicationData.Customers .filter(filter) .top(1) .execute() .then(function (results) { if (results.results.length >= 0) { screen.prpCustomer = results.results[0]; } }, function (error) { alert(error); } ); However, if I already have the customer data loaded (or at least available as a local screen query), how can I filter and use that collection?  This produces Error: Object doesn't support property or method 'filter'. var filter = "(substringof('Futterkiste', CustomerName) eq true)"; screen.getCustomers() .filter(filter) // filter not supported .top(1) .execute() // is this necessary with
    Read more...

"Common Screen Set" is missing
    1/23/2015 7:14 AM
    I've installed VS2013 - Update 4 and the Office Tools November Update. I'm starting a new project and I want to use the "Common Screen Set", but that Screen Type does not show up in my list of screen templates. This is a completely new installation with no projects (yet). Did I miss a step somewhere? Thanks!
    Read more...

I have created a Search Screen using the Add Query method to the Child Entity, then creating a Browse Screen based on that Query. This has successfully allowed me to use the Query Designer to set up my search of all the fields in the Parent and Child entity. The problem I am having is that if the Parent has no Children, then that Parent record isn't searchable at all. Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way.  I have also tried extending the query with LINQ but I can't seem to perform a Join on the Navigation Property (Parent_Child), nor can I seem to make use of the Navigation Property via Intellisense at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Read more...

I need to implement an advanced search functionality in a browse screen for a large table.  The table has 80+ columns and therefore will have a large number of possible query parameters.  The screen will be built on a modeled query with all of the parameters marked as optional.  Given the large number of parameters, I am thinking that it would be better to use a separate screen to receive the parameter input from the user, rather than a Popup.  Is it possible for example to have a search button on the browse screen (screen a) open a new screen (screen b) that contains all of the search parameters, have the user enter the parameters they want, then click a button to send all of the parameters back to screen a where the query is executed and the search results are returned to the table control?  This would effectively make screen b an advanced modal window for screen a.  In addition, if the user were to execute the query, then want to change a
    Read more...

Microsoft Visual Studio is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation / LightSwitch is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation